The Municipality of Lezo is the smallest town of the seventeen (17) municipalities in the Province of Aklan. Before its creation into municipality, Lezo was a part of the Municipality of Kalibo. A barrio, it was called “Guicod”’ derived from the word “Guicab” which means a cavern in a creek where eels were in abundance, it is located at the back of the Lezo Elementary School. This place was also called “Tierra Alta” meaning a high land because the center of the town was not covered by water during the great flood in early 19th century.
In 1865 the prominent men and women of Lezo headed by Don Juan Legaspi and Benedicta Geronimo organized themselves and petitioned to the higher Spanish Authorities to grant the creation of the Municipality of Lezo, independent from Kalibo. The petition was granted and it was named in honor of a brave Spanish Naval Officer LEZO, who was always present during the various negotiations. The Municipality was inaugurated on July 6, 1865, as per decree on March 21, 1865 and Don Anacleto Ramos was the first Capitan Basal.
From that time on, several changes transpired on the titles and personalities holding the highest position of the Municipal Government of Lezo from Captain Basal to Capitan Municipal then to Presidente Local and the last is Presidente Municipal.
On September 26, 1900, a Treaty of Peace between the American Military Forces headed by Captain Charles Gould Morton, Sixth Infantry, Commanding Troops of the Province of Capiz and the Filipino Revolutionary Unit in Aklan, headed by General Ananias Diokno chiefly mediated by Honorable Simeon Mobo Reyes, son of Lezo negotiated and signed the documents duly witnessed by the Representative of each municipality in the Region of Aklan
In 1903 by virtue of Act No. 720 of the Philippine Commission dated April 4, 1903, Lezo, together with Numancia, and Banga was annexed to Kalibo for decreased of revenue collections. But because of indomitable spirit, the fight for independence from Kalibo was revived. In 1910, Lezo truly became an independent municipality, making her arabal. In 1911, the first municipal election was held and Cipriano Fernandez was elected Presidente Municipal until 1913 and re-elected for another term, but failed to finish his term due to his suspension. Marcos B. Cochiengco was appointed as the new Presidente Municipal by the Provincial Board and has served until 1918.
In 1918 election, the candidate of party in power headed by the late President of the Philippines, Manuel A. Roxas, who was then the incumbent Provincial Governor of Capiz, suffered a tremendous political defeat in the Municipality of Lezo, it was then that the seat of local government was transferred to Numancia. By virtue of Executive Order No. 17, series of 1920 and by Republic Act No, 3086 of the Philippine Legislative, dated March 16, 1923, the name of the municipality was changed to Numancia.
With the continuous strong determination and guts of the Lezonian forefathers, Lezo finally became an independent municipality, by virtue of Executive Order No. 364 dated August 28, 1941 signed by the late President of the Philippines, Manuel Luis Quezon, and was inaugurated in 1942, but due to the atrocities of World War II the celebration was simple, spearheaded by Captain Prudencio Fernandez, a native of Lezo and the guerilla leader.
Atty. Moises F. Morado, a young and only lawyer of the municipality was the first appointed mayor and served from 1942-1943.